Wiper Arm - what is it good for?

Why would someone buy the wiper arm assembly? What is it's main purpose?

Slices that fail to stick to the model will stick to PDMS, following slice exposures will cause damage to it plus jams.The Wiper helps avoid premature trays wear and tear. I find that for minor errors the model is still salvageable since the wiper removes the debris out the way.

Having said that, its also a headache.
Misplacing it will cause either the head or the tray to bump on it. Since the tray's arm is only attached on one side, I do have concerns of deflection from the amount of pressure it exerts downward.

I feel a spring pre-loaded wiper would do a much more effective job. I want to have a crack at making one, but I understand Autodesk is in the process of making a new tray. I dont want to get into it and then find out I have to make a new one...

I wish Autodesk could give as an update on the new tray.

Great explanation about the wiper, Yianni.

As for the new resin trays, they're currently undergoing first article inspection.

Thanks Yianni and Shalom

An additional problem I can foresee is that any material cleared from the PDMS by the wiper will then be free floating in the resin, which then can contaminate the print randomly.

I usually monitor the build progress by looking at the PDMS window when the tray is rotating just after a layer has been exposed. I find that I can usually see when something has gone wrong and material is stuck to the PDMS - but not always right away.

If the wiper was to be setup to just 'skim' the resin off the PDMS without enough force actively remove the material left behind, it may make the visual check easier. But that doesn't really solve anything once the print begins to fail. We still need to cancel the job and filter the resin.

Its exactly as you say Scott,

I also monitor build for the first 4 layers, and then shut the door.

Any "floaters" will interfere with model quality. Small glitches will not likely cause issues, but large ones will. This is a limitation of Ember's separation system but personally I am fine with that because it is the most stress free release method, allowing for very fine detail.

What I m not a fan of is Print Studio's support generation algorithm and methods, maybe because I did not tweak it to my liking. That's why I create my supports in CAD, full manually. I use draft angle analysis to determine the areas requiring supports. Its time consuming, and I might miss something, but it gives me the control I need. After all I m the one who will remove the supports, so I need to place them in accessible areas.