Welcome to Ember!
This guide is intended for new users who are using a shared Ember than has already been set up. It skips all the setup steps in the full Quick Start Guide and only focuses on using the machine. For simplicity, it only has the user transfer their files to Ember via a USB stick. For more ways to connect to Ember, view the full guide.
Please read all the safety warnings and instructions in Section 1 of the User Manual. The following are the most important:
- Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when operating the printer or handling resin or isopropoyl alcohol.
- Resin is a sensitizer. Keep resin away from hands, eyes, clothes, food, or anything else that may contact bare skin.
- Don’t touch Ember or any Ember accessories with your bare hands
- Don’t put your laptop on the same surface as the printer unless you’ve wiped that area down with isopropyl alcohol
DOWNLOAD PRINT STUDIO
PREPARE A JOB
- Import an STL file
- Choose a resin profile by clicking the icon in the upper left corner of the screen (see above). 50µm with Autodesk CMYK resin is the best general-purpose configuration.
- Click Layout and position your part
- Click Repair and repair any issues with your STL
- Click Supports and add supports, or delete the supports and move the part back down to the build head
- Click Preview to slice the model and preview the slices
- Click Export File and save your print file to your USB stick in a folder named EmberUSB
NOTE: If you choose not to use supports, you must go back to the Layout step and click Move to Build Surface after deleting the supports, or else your model won’t attach to the build head.
START A JOB
- Put on gloves
- Fill the Ember resin tray to the Max Fill line
- Plug your USB drive into the printer
- Press Start on the printer
- When prompted to calibrate the build head, loosen the build head calibration bolt and let the build head lower down under its own weight onto the PDMS layer. The build head should be flush and parallel with the PDMS and square with the right edge of the resin tray. Tighten the calibration bolt. (This only needs to be done the first time you print with a given tray, or if you’re not sure whether it was recently done.)
- Close the door and press Done
- The front panel will show the time until the print finishes
REMOVE YOUR PART FROM THE BUILD HEAD
- When the print is complete, open the door and remove the build head
- Watch out for resin dripping from the build head
- Bring the build head over to the finishing station
- Using a scraper, gently remove the part from the build head
- Scrape of any additional cured resin, making sure the build head surface is clean
FINISH YOUR PART
- Pour IPA into your two containers at your finishing station, and label them Rinse 1 and Rinse 2
- Place the part into Rinse 1 and let it soak for 5 minutes
- Place the part into Rinse 2 (not shown above) and soak for 1 minute
- Remove the part and dry it with a paper towel
- Place the part in a UV curing oven (or use a UV curing lamp) for maximum strength
- If you’re done printing parts for now, wipe any resin off the build head and clean the resin tray
For more information, read the full User Manual.