Printing with Form Labs Tough Resin

We received some of the new Form Labs tough resin last week and have just run a couple of tests using Ember. First impressions are that it is stronger than PR48, we will try an quantify this later. We've printed the Spark logo in PR48 and the tough resin, the tough resin still has a similar flex to PR48 but it seems less brittle.

Tips on printing - as with their casting resin, over-fill the resin tray a bit, 150ml of resin should be OK. The default exposure for PR48 at 0.025 resolution is 2.5 sec, this works but we seem to get better results with a slightly longer exposure, the most recent prints we used 2.7 sec.

Increasing Viscosity of Resin
Formlabs Resin on Autodesk Ember
Resin tips

Thanks for posting this info and your exposure settings, Paul - very helpful! Great to see that you've gotten such good results with this resin.

Have you had any success printing at 50 microns?

Hi Chris - yes, it works well at 50 microns also, we just increased the exposure time a little as well. Be careful removing from the build plate as it really bonds to that build head!

Hi Paul (I know this is old, I hope this still reaches you)! We recently got some of this resin and are testing it out with our ember, but we are having some trouble getting the prints build properly (either they don’t adhere to the platform or the head gets jammed depending on the settings). I was wondering if you could send me one of your print settings files that seems to work for this resin so I can compare it with mine?

Thanks!

Microhairs

Hi Beth,

I would use Ember’s default CMYK settings, but change the Model Exposure Time to 3 seconds, and the Model Separation Slide Velocity to 4 RPM. That may help with the jamming.

You can also turn up your motor voltage as described in the following somewhat cheeky instructable:

Hi, sorry its taken a while to come back to you on this. We found that increasing the exposure settings a little helps and also printing at 50 microns seems more reliable. Another thing that always seem to help is using a new resin tray. We haven’t used the resin much recently and were using the older firmware so that may affect things a bit. We also try to use minimal support at the start of the build to reduce the sliding resistance at the start, generally speaking, once the build has started it will then finish, if it fails it tends to fail right at the start. Another random thing we do us use a gloved-finger to rub some of the resin onto the build-plate while it is in the raised position, I’m not sure if this really helps but it works for us! Good luck.

Thanks I have tried lowering my separation slide velocity (down to 3RPM for all layers) before and I just tried using those settings, but the print is still forming on the PDMS window not the build platform. I switched to a test model with a low cross sectional area, and I figure I can solve the jamming issue with our actual model later. I think my issue may be happening before the model layers, since nothing adheres to the build platform but the model does still appear to print on the PDMS window. Sometimes, it looks like the layers are being sheared apart when the build head when the build head slides, since the layers are distinct but they are also clearly not aligned with each other. Do you think increasing the exposure on first/burnin layers help this issue?

If it’s jamming on the first/burn-in layers, you would want to reduce the exposure time, not increase it. The longer the exposure time, the thicker the layer. If a layer gets too thick, it jams. The misaligned layers you’re seeing is probably due to jamming – they can’t really shear apart once they’re exposed.

@acostas just had some good success using the swiper:

I tried with the settings below and… success!! I printed a mix of 50% Formlabs clear and 50% flexible. The flexible one is one of the most viscous resins out there so this should be helpful in a wide range of resins. Something that I did notice is that the Ember prints come out to be fairly stiffer than the ones I print in the Form 2 with the same material.

Wait (before exposure) = 30.0 s; Burn in Wait = 30s; ModelWaitTime = 30 s, Increased model exposure time from 2.5 to 4.0 seconds. Reduced model separation velocity from 10 rpm to 4.0 rpm. Increased projector LED current from 150 to 200