Print Studio no longer supported?

I have been using the Print Studio/Fusion360 combo for awhile and accepting that Print Studio crashes quite a bit it has well met my needs. I recently went through the latest Windows 10 (large one) upgrade and Print Studio would not work after that. I contacted Fusion360 support and was told that Print Studio is no longer supported (as of November 2016), is this true? If so is there a recommended replacement? I have found that Print Studio is easy to use with my Dremel 3D40 returning to Meshmixer would be a real step back. Help Please, my production is falling behind.

@kazandzoe

see below:

and here:
Netfabb-ha
Netfabb for print studio users
Variable Exposure Questions

Thanks Scott, I have downloaded it and will begin the learning process. Do you know if it will be integrated with Fusion360 in the same manner that Print Studio is/was?

-------- Original message --------
Date:17-04-2017 10:09 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: s.david.baxter@gmail.com
Subject: [Ember Research Hub] [Support & Troubleshooting] Print Studio no longer supported?
scott_chabineau April 17 @kazandzoe

see below:

Ember availability update
Print Studio is being succeeded by Netfabb, which has the same capabilities, plus much more. We have stopped development and support for Print Studio, but it will remain available for download. If you’d like to try Netfabb, here’s a video to get you started.

and here:
Netfabb-ha
Netfabb for print studio users
Variable Exposure Questions

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I doubt it. It is being promoted as a stand-alone subscription solution. The free version is supposed to have all the same features as PS - just harder to use in my opinion. Subscription cost “per year” tiers is as follows: 1,000/ 4,000/ Call!

See here

Every time I start to try to use NETFABB, I just end up feeling angry and usually quit before sending the print to the printer. While PS was not perfect and had its quirks, it was pretty intuitive. Netfabb is not.

Examples:
Why is there something called ‘Parts’ that lets you import your file, but really what you need to do is first ADD an Ember workspace and import your part THERE? What is ‘Parts’ for if all I need to do is in the workspace. Just prompt me to start there, to begin with.

If you want to preview the slice - you have to add it to the ‘Slices’ section. How do I do that? Click on Slices and you get nothing useful. What you really need to do is RMB on the imported part under Ember, all the way down buried under ‘extras’ is “Slice selected parts”. Why isn’t this the top choice?

OK - now what? How do you move through the slices…? Hmmm - click play? OH - now I see a barely visible slider off to the left of the entire interface (did you see it the first time? It took me several attempts before I remembered where to look).

But wait, why do I only see the outlines of the slice? Where are the solid sections? You have to click around to select the slice (it borders in a green box with red handles when you have it selected) then RMB over any 2D lined EDGE of the slice - not just anywhere on the slice - and select “Show Filling”.

OK - so then I figure everything out, print my part, move on… close netfabb.
Next part - open netfabb - where is my Ember Workspace? Nope have to add it again before you can start a new part. I don’t see a way to make it open as default.

These are just the basics and I get frustrated that it’s not more apparent. I’ve gleaned some from the user manual - but the thing is huge and you have to really dig to find what you want. Even then you have to play around a bit.

I am sure the software is super powerful - so powerful that the basic user is left wondering what other software is out there that lets me do what I need for much less… oh yeah, Print Studio. So my final conclusion is that as a very powerful software company, Autodesk will focus on the high-end commercial market. We small business/ prosumer users will find a true open source program that will satisfy our needs for free. We both will get what we want in the end ( I hope).

I could have not said better myself Scott !
It’s EXACTLY like that !

Netfab is trying to take a bite out of Magics clientele, but kind of sucks at it.

Thanks, a lot. Downloaded the Dremel software, seems to work OK but not as slick as PS. I will stick with it.

-------- Original message --------
Date:17-04-2017 11:30 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: s.david.baxter@gmail.com
Subject: [Ember Research Hub] [Support & Troubleshooting] Print Studio no longer supported?
scott_chabineau April 17 I doubt it. It is being promoted as a stand-alone subscription solution. The free version is supposed to have all the same features as PS - just harder to use in my opinion. Subscription cost "per year" tiers is as follows: 1,000/ 4,000/ Call!

See here

Every time I start to try to use NETFABB, I just end up feeling angry and usually quit before sending the print to the printer. While PS was not perfect and had its quirks, it was pretty intuitive. Netfabb is not.

Examples:
Why is there something called ‘Parts’ that lets you import your file, but really what you need to do is first ADD an Ember workspace and import your part THERE? What is ‘Parts’ for if all I need to do is in the workspace. Just prompt me to start there, to begin with.

If you want to preview the slice - you have to add it to the ‘Slices’ section. How do I do that? Click on Slices and you get nothing useful. What you really need to do is RMB on the imported part under Ember, all the way down buried under ‘extras’ is “Slice selected parts”. Why isn’t this the top choice?

OK - now what? How do you move through the slices…? Hmmm - click play? OH - now I see a barely visible slider off to the left of the entire interface (did you see it the first time? It took me several attempts before I remembered where to look).

But wait, why do I only see the outlines of the slice? Where are the solid sections? You have to click around to select the slice (it borders in a green box with red handles when you have it selected) then RMB over any 2D lined EDGE of the slice - not just anywhere on the slice - and select “Show Filling”.

OK - so then I figure everything out, print my part, move on… close netfabb.
Next part - open netfabb - where is my Ember Workspace? Nope have to add it again before you can start a new part. I don’t see a way to make it open as default.

These are just the basics and I get frustrated that it’s not more apparent. I’ve gleaned some from the user manual - but the thing is huge and you have to really dig to find what you want. Even then you have to play around a bit.

I am sure the software is super powerful - so powerful that the basic user is left wondering what other software is out there that lets me do what I need for much less… oh yeah, Print Studio. So my final conclusion is that as a very powerful software company, Autodesk will focus on the high-end commercial market. We small business/ prosumer users will find a true open source program that will satisfy our needs for free. We both will get what we want in the end ( I hope).

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

A new team recently started working to improve the Netfabb interface, so hopefully it will become more user-friendly soon. Netfabb 2017.3 at least addresses one of Scott’s frustrations, in that you can now slice models by going to the Prepare menu and choosing “Slice Selected Models”.

Good news !
Does it mean we might get mask adjustment also?

Good question, not sure about the answer but I’ll let you know if I find out.