Obtaining grayscales in the XY plane

My goal is to develop a finer resolution cicular shape by using grayscales in the XY plane. The idea is to minimize the aliasing effect, and obtain a smooth surface. I can see how you could make a grayscale in the Z direction (by playing with the exposure settings per layer), but I am unsure of what settings to change in order to make a grayscale in the XY plane. I realized in old posts that @scott_chabineau made some grayscales in his models, and I would love knowing how!

@acostas and I trying to enhance circular resolutions by making use of grayscales.

First, we tried to print a rectangular cross section shape with an inner rectangle in grey. However, the results are not as expected as the inside rectangle (the one in grey) is solid. However, it seems like the inner rectangle is not as high as the outside rectangle (colored in white). We are not able to measure the height at the moment so we can not give actual magnitudes for the heights. However, we are able to distinguish a boundary between both rectangles, which led us to assume that there exists a height difference.

Our hypothesis so far is that the inner rectangle received less curing energy so it developed as a “partial pixel” but in the “z” direction. Our goal is to create a grayscale in the XY plane, however this test seems to show that we can only create such grayscale in the z direction. We used 30 layers of 10 microns in order to make the grey and white rectangles.

Have you watched our high-fidelity printing video? It has a lot of info about greyscale printing.

This Instructable talks about greyscale generation in Section 3. In particular it describes what the “Variable Strength Exposure” from PS does. I am not able to open the slicer mentioned under “Really Advanced Settings”. I wonder if there is another way to share this algorithm

Unfortunately I’m not sure what happened to the slicer in that Instructable. Apparently it was deprecated, so it may have just been decommissioned entirely. @greener1 ?