MadeSolid Vorex

Does anyone have experience with the Vorex resin? I have been adjusting the exposure times up and down and still run into a good deal of overfill on my negative features. I'm going to keep at it, but would appreciate any help.

We've been using Vorex frequently and you'd be surprised how low of an exposure time you can use. You can set the first, burn-in, and model to the same value below 1 s. I'd recommend starting at 1 and moving down until you have a failure because the ideal exposure is highly dependent on your geometry.

Also, If you're using white it will be harder in general to get fine negative features.

I have been as low as 0.7 seconds so far. The resin also reacts with the Ember trays and causes the orange portion to become cloudy. After about a week, the tray cracked and spilled resin all over the printer. This may have been accelerated by a head crash earlier in the week (the printer didn't home the tray rotation correctly during calibration and I had walked away during the routine).

Once I have more trays I'll go back and try again. Just hate to waste a tray if I'm never going to get there.

What was your lower limits for the exposure time?

I wonder if batch converting the images to change the white to 50% grey would give me the ability to better tune the exposure time? The idea is that since the Vorex is so reactive to light, I may not be able to tune the exposure time in fine enough increments. If the difference between success and failure is 0.1 seconds - and I cannot step the time in finer resolutions (say 0.001) - then reducing the initial intensity of the light pixels by some factor should achieve the same result. So where it took 0.7 seconds to cure before, now it takes 1.4 seconds - or more depending on the image grayscale conversion amount. Now a 0.1 second change has less light reaction and so the time can be adjusted on a more granular level.

Taking this example to the extreme, if a slice cured in 1.0 seconds @ 100% white, and I changed this to 1% white, I theoretically need to expose the layer for 100.0 seconds to get the same level of curing - right?

Does this actually help or hurt the light bleed? I can see it helping fine tune the exposure time to it's absolute minimum value, but maybe it never actually helps with light bleeding through to unwanted areas.

My logic in this may be flawed, so if anyone has a better explanation I would appreciate it.

Scott,

I think your logic is sound, but I think there is a better way to tweak things. I have no experience with Vorex, but if you do not mind doing some extensive tests, I feel that your ally will be the setting in Ember's portal that changes projectors intensity:

Decreasing light intensity should also prolong your PDMS life, as long as Vorex does not infuse in the material.

Read Step 7: https://support.ember.autodesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220268087-How-To-Calibrate-the-Irradiance-of-Ember-s-Projector

Please share any findings with us !

Hi what’s the best exposure setting for madesolid vorex white?

Axel,
I would start with the setting used above for the Black. Should be pretty close. Since MadeSolid is out of business, the vorex resins are getting harder to get - unless someone knows otherwise.

0.7 seconds in the first, burn-in, and model layers? I’ve been using the standard clear setting with it, which is first layer= 8 seconds; burn in= 4 seconds; model layer= 2.2 seconds. I think it is too much. I just have to confirm from you if the 0.7 seconds should be applied in all layers. Thank you Scott!

I’m not able to access my actual print settings, but it seems I was using 1.2sec for the 1st layer, 0.9 for the burn-in, and 0.7 to 0.8 for the model layer. These settings also depend on the layer thickness and geometry you are trying to create. I usually create models with relatively large cross sections with negative features like holes and slots as my main objectives.

Hope this helps!