We're working on an app that will export stacks of 2D images which can be read by the ember. I'm working on the accompanying settings file that goes in the .tar.gz file... and I notice that there is a setting called LayerThicknessMicrons. Are there specific double values that have to be set here (ie. 5.0, 25.0, 100.0, etc.) or can this setting really be any double value?

The LayerThicknessMicrons value should be an integer (no decimal point) with a value that's a multiple of 5 - e.g., 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc.

Can I change the layer thickness per slice in the tar.gz? So start with a thick support base and only use thin layers where high resolution details are needed?

Yes. Here are instructions for how to define custom layer thickness settings.

Note that while this enables you to set the per-layer thickness, we don't yet offer variable layer thickness slicing. Therefore, you'll need to slice your model at thinnest layer thickness (highest resolution), as well as slice it at lower resolution, and then manually replace the low res areas with the high res areas, and renumber / recompile the image stack so that it adds up to the proper height.

Essentially, you'll have to experiment in order to get it to work. I'm sorry that we don't have a more clearly defined workflow yet. We're still working on this.

If you have questions or get stuck, I'll do my best to help you get this done.

Great to know that the new Vari Slice software now addresses this issue!