IPA atomizer

I have created a small atomizer for cleaning the parts once the print is done. This little device takes compressed air and creates a vacuum to pull in a small amount of IPA to generate a fine mist with lots of air behind it. It is very useful for cleaning parts with deep crevasses while removing nearly all the uncured surface resin. A post cure is still required, but the parts end up with very little ‘wet’ resin hidden in the nook and crannies.

• It has a small hole to break the vacuum to turn stop the IPA flow and just push air.
  • it includes the 10-32 threads in the print to attach the hoses.
  • Also included is a snap on back that just covers the hose fittings giving it a slightly cleaner look and feel in the hand.

I printed mine using MakerJuice Vorex Black (ran out of PR57). At 75 micron slices, it prints in just over an hour.

Atomizer
Tube Cover

Ingenius !
I use a spray gun filled with alcohol, but your way is more economical and slick !
Thanks for sharing !

Really cool!

A few more details:

I have attached mine to a foot switch for the air valve.
I still keep my spray bottle handy for flooding the prints right off the printer.
I have since abandoned the tube cover on the back - it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
I want to print a check valve to prevent the IPA from draining back into the bottle, speeding up the delivery time. I have to wait a minute or two while the low flow rate draws the IPA out of the bottle after it’s been sitting awhile.

Here are a couple of CAD images:

This superb !
Could you pls provide some urls on where to get the fittings and the mesh dressing for the hoses?

If you put a PayPal donate button somewhere I will click it !
Have to buy you a beer at least !

Since I just grabbed what we had on the shop floor, I don’t have a specific BOM. However, some of the ‘incidentals’ can be purchased through McMaster-carr

Braided Cable wrap
Pneumatic foot switch
Tubing
Shrink Tubing

Tube fittings - search "Push to connect tube fittings with 10-32 UNF"
Also here

I am not an engineering or be able to connect all those parts together, but Rio Grande recommended me to use this not too long ago. I have not yet used it, but may be this will work very similar:

They told me to use just air part, but maybe you can fill it with IPA and use IPA.

Thanks for sharing! I knew going into mine that I could just buy something, but felt in the spirit of knowledge wanted to see if I could print one. Since I do have access to all the other bits, it worked in my favor for sure. I am working on adding flow control and spray/stream shape to mine. We’ll see how that goes.

Hi Scott,

This looks great… as I’ve got a compressor and GraverMax with a few spare ports free, I might give this a go…

I’m curios though… do you find the atomiser works significantly better than completely immersing the parts in liquid and giving a vigorous shake? And have you tried using an ultrasonic?

I’m currently using the B9 emerald resin a lot, which B9 recommends just dropping in soapy water and ultrasonicing. I’ve often dropped it in IPA first (against their recommendation, as they say IPA can damage the resin surface a little), as this speeds things up but I’d really like to find the solution that gives the best surface finish… so I’m happy to try anything.

Regards,
-Barry

Barry -
I am very interested to see someone else to give this a shot. I always seem to be refining this, so I’ll post some new files soon I think.

As for my experience, soaking in IPA is OK, but doesn’t clean out all the nooks and crannies. It’ll clean the surfaces ok, and if you agitate it’s really the best way to get the bulk of the excess off quickly.

I’ve tried ultrasonics with limited success. It didn’t seem to clean out the holes like I thought it would. I still resorted to IPA and air hose spray.

Working with the atomizer the past couple of weeks has been pretty good actually. Once I hooked up the foot switch and plumbed a dedicated IPA bottle it really has become my preferred method. I can adjust the air flow with my foot and quickly switch between air only and atomized IPA. The atomized IPA is actually very gentle on the parts and I can focus the stream in all the right places. Deep pockets and holes clean out quickly now.

I do want to have the ability to go from a super fine mist to a much heavier IPA flow. I am going to try to add a flow control valve and open up the IPA orifice to see if that works. I’ll let you know.