Cps sm472

So I just printed for the first time with CPS SM472, which is supposed to have ‘ABS like’ properties. The print ultimately failed since the material I have is VERY flexible. The of the sections that did print I am able to twist the parts around 2-3x like a towel and watch it return to its original shape.

The layer thickness was 50um and the exposure time was 3.3sec.

Does anyone have experience with this material?
Do I need to post cure this to reach the ABS properties?

We had very similar results as you when using the SM472. We tried post curing under our “UV nail lamp” with minimal improvements… It seemed to help some but still it is very rubbery. It has gotten slightly more firme over the last week but it is still not very ABS.

CPS has responded with the following recommendation:

“The specialty materials require post curing to bring the part to the final properties. Currently we cure under a broad spectrum light at 30mW/cm2 for about 30 min a side. LEDS don’t appear to work as well for curing.”

Hmm, that would suggest that a nail lamp would be the way to go… maybe just leave it in there longer?

Have you tried Formlabs’ Tough resin? That may be able to give you what you need.

I have, but it’s been awhile. I’m pulling it back out to give it another go.

The exact response that I received. I am disappointed that a resin was released before a proper cure specification was created.

My big ‘gripe’ is that the stated properties are ‘ABS like’ with no notations about it’s ‘green state’ being flexible, so it seems reasonable that I would be able to apply typical support structures since the part would be fairly rigid and ‘ABS like’ right off the printer. Lesson learned.

Did CPS ever come up with a good cure solution for this resin, or did they just abandon it much like Autodesk did with the Ember? Don’t know exactly what I am supposed to do with “Tough” resin that I cannot Get to cure. Can anyone offer any advice?

I received this advice, but since I don’t have a broad spectrum light, I tried sunlight. I left my part in the sun for several hours in a beaker of water and found it to still be soft after I brought it back in. However, after several days of letting it sit on my desk - lo an behold it stiffened up. Hope this helps.

Hi Scott,

You did receive the correct formulation. The specialty materials require post curing to bring the part to the final properties. Currently we cure under a broad spectrum light at 30mW/cm2 for about 30 min a side. LEDS don’t appear to work as well for curing.

This is the light we use. https://www.dymax.com/curing-systems/flood-lamps/flood-lamps-ece-series
Sunlight may also work.

We are working on specifying a more practical way for customers to post-treat that will use a more universal light.

Best,

Amelia Davenport
CPS
1880 S Flatiron Ct
Boulder, CO 80301
303 653 6514